Friday 5 September 2014

Pulau Ubin 20 May 2012

 I have not been to Pulau Ubin in more than a year. We were more regular visitors when my children were young. Together with friends and their children we would have group outings on Pulau Ubin. Renting bicycles and riding around the island, stopping for soft drinks and coconut juice and eating seafood in one of the homely restaurants near the jetty were the order of the day. Last week I was asked in a kind of government survey about what kind of development I would like to see for Pulau Ubin in the future. My spontaneous response was "Just leave it as it is." Why? The photos in this post taken on a nature walk around the island with my husband one fine day in May 2012 are the reasons.

Leaving the Changi Ferry Terminal on a boat that cost $2 per person.
The fluted rocks that make Pulau Ubin unique.
Arrival at Pulau Ubin.
Why would I want artificially created white-sand beach dotted with sun-baked bodies?

They should never remove this stage. They should revive opera performances.
Imagine a Seven-Eleven in its place.
Coconuts in plastic-sealed cups.
One day, this guy will be a  CEO on mainland and I hope he does not forget his roots.
The Tua Pek Kong Temple that gives Ubin protection from evil.
I always call this flower an upside-down helicopter flower.
I have not seen this tiny flower  other than on Pulau Ubin.
Makes you feel you are in rural Malaysia.
Doors closed, windows closed. I hope it would be replaced by a hotel.
A well that looks like you can still draw water from for a nice, cold bath.
Property developers would go gaga over this piece of land.
How long  can they stay?


A spider said that he was king of all he surveyed.
Beautiful calligraphy that reminds you of tradition.

I still cycle to work.
Children used to play outside this house.
The iconic kampong house on Ubin.



Dragonflies rule here.
Getting some water from the well.

Nature's arrangement of  coconut trees. I don't want to see landscaped gardens.
Growing wild and free.



This plant is grown in the Healing Garden of the Singapore Botanic Garden.
Here, it just grows naturally.
Returning to the jetty.


Seafood lunch here was reasonably priced and delicious.
















A Termite nest.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.