Monday 4 August 2014

West Coast Park

On this day, I decided to take along my old Canon 400D camera that had been lying dormant and ignored in the dry box languishing in cold storage in the past 2 or 3 years. Instead of just photographing flowers, this powerful camera has enabled me to capture birds from a distance and opened up another area of photography for me.

Cannonball tree flowers.

Sea grapes.
You don't get to see them all the time.
The classic Bunga Raya. There are many species of Hibiscus.
Of late there are many of these Mynahs at the part of the park near the canal. Some people are feeding them and they have multiplied in large numbers, enough to be a nuisance to people and other birds and animals.
There were also many squirrels darting about from tree to tree on that day.


The beautiful freshly-bloomed flowers of the Coral Tree.




I spotted a couple of doves high up on the tree.
A lovel crown.
A Bubul looking out for its mate.
Bird Nest fern.
As the palm grows in height, it sheds its leaves.

Heliconias were in abundance at West Coast Park.

Flowers of the Pride of India.
Heliconias are relatives of the Banana and Ginger and there are so many interesting varieties.







The falling leaves.
The advantage of having a DSLR camera with a 200mm zoom.

A sunbird flitting amongst the Heliconia flowers.




An insect taking nectar from the flowers.

The fruit of the Pride of India tree.
This one is the best shot.



Now you know why the beak of the sunbird is curved.





Another satisfying shot.





Hey look at me Ma!





 I wasn't expecting to see a Woodpecker but God decided to reward me for my patience.











This is the biggest bird nest that I have seen that is close to ground level. Pity I did not see what bird made it.
Do not kick this fruit of the Cannonball like a football or you will live to regret it.
Surprise for me before I left - Tiger Orchids in bloom on the fringe of the park.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.